Who We Are
We seek to become a premier, university-wide institute that will function as a hub of activity, networking, and support for all city-related research and scholarship at the University of Connecticut.
The SGCI comprises an extensive, continuously-expanding network of Faculty Affiliates and supporters whose research and projects focus on urban-related issues, broadly defined. Research involving the city is inherently diverse and interdisciplinary, and we aim to strengthen partnerships within the university community across disciplines, schools, and college that might otherwise have limited interaction. Additionally, we will strive to increase the visibility and impact of the excellent work already being done at UConn through intelligent, targeted messaging strategies.
What We Do
- Support and enhance scholarship on cities, broadly defined by fostering interdisciplinary collaboration, sponsoring recognition of exemplary papers and projects, and amplifying the visibility and impact of the diverse urban-related research being produced at UConn.
- Connect people who want to tackle the unique challenges faced by contemporary cities and towns. Our Faculty Affiliate Directory facilitates connections and collaborations among UConn researchers, and makes it easier for the general public to find qualified experts at UConn in cities-related fields.
- Identify pressing academic and community needs to set research agendas, sponsor case studies, and initiate interdisciplinary projects.
Our Faculty Affiliate Directory is now online!
Phase 1 of our online directory is now complete! With the SGCI Faculty Affiliates directory, UConn researchers can find colleagues who share similar academic interests, and members of the public can easily find experts in various cities-related topics. In addition to contact information, the directory prominently displays research themes, self-described research interests, project descriptions, and recent cities-related publications for all of our Faculty Affiliates.
The SGCI has substantial potential to influence national and international conversations on cities-related topics -- but the scope and impact of our activities directly depends on support from faculty, staff, community partners, and donors. There are many ways you can help the SGCI achieve its goals:
- Are you a UConn researcher whose work intersects with one of our six core research topics? Our scope is global, but we plan to create research agendas with a focus on Hartford and other Connecticut cities, too. Register to become an SGCI Faculty Affiliate!
- Are you part of a community or organization that is seeking an expert in an urban-related topic at UConn? In the future, we plan on having the capacity to connect you with UConn researchers whose research could be relevant to your mission. Learn more by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Are you a donor or non-profit institution interested in funding cutting-edge, interdisciplinary research and projects on topics related to urban life? Contact us to learn how you can help!
To learn more about other ways you can support the SGCI, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.